Old Jaffrey Center
Courtesy of the Jaffrey Historical Society
"Good ol' New England traditional style!" Wong/Malaysia
John Cutter, a prosperous tanner, built four houses on this corner of Jaffrey Center between 1790 and 1830. Workmen curried steer hides to make heavy leather harnesses and trappings used on farm equipment, wagons, and carriages at the “Currying Shop”.
Now a comfortable Bed & Breakfast, The Currier’s House is part of the Jaffrey Center Historic District. Easy walks lead into the woods, to ponds, or up Main Street. The Meeting House on The Common, was “… raised the day of Bunker Hill”, April 21, 1775. The Old Burying Ground holds settlers and notables including the 18th century church member and self-freed slave, Amos Fortune, and his wife Violette; 19th Century hand box manufacturer, Hannah Davis; and beloved 20th century novelist, Willa Cather. A walking tour of the district and its three museums can be arranged.