The Monadnock Region
"A beautiful little corner of the world and a very special town."
Two feet of beautiful clean snow - winter in New Hampshire
Dan/New York City
A National Main Street Community - the center of the modern town of Jaffrey lies 1.7 miles east at the crossroads of Main Street/Route 124 and Route 202. Originally weaving wool and cotton and manufacturing wooden products, Jaffrey now produces high tech optical and medical instruments, automobile products, and paper matches.
Places To Visit
Mount Monadnock: Want to climb a mountain in an afternoon? Sparring with Mount Fuji for the title "Most climbed mountain in the world", Mount Monadnock offers breathtaking views and 40 miles of maintained foot trails. Visit the New Hampshire State Parks website for more information.
The Park Theatre: Built in 1922 and added onto several times, the theatre sits right in the middle of downtown Jaffrey, NH. It was the place for movies, plays, vaudeville, and community events for 54 years. Sold in 1976, the theatre has been a warehouse for picture frames, bicycles and sports equipment for 30 years. In February 2006, a group of private citizens formed The Park Theatre Corporation, and, with donations from all over the country, bought the theatre to rebuild it and open it up again.
Rhododendron State Park: Named after the 16-acre grove of Rhododendron Maximum, which is the focal point of the park, this park allows visitors to observe, close up, the fragrant clusters of pink blossoms as they burst into bloom in mid-July. The rhododendron grove, which is the largest in northern New England, was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1982.*
Other Points of Interest:
- 5 minutes to restaurants, walking tours, events, lakes, hiking, and golf. Monadnock State Park: 40 miles of hiking trails, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing.
- 10 minutes to Franklin Pierce University and Cathedral of the Pines, Rindge, NH
- 12 minutes to summer theatre, Monadnock Music, restaurants, antiques, golf, and other vents. Eastern Mountain Sports offers free one day rentals on sports equipment!
- 20 minutes to 40 miles of great cross country skiing.
- 25 minutes to Keene, NH where attractions include movies, theatre, music, restaurants, shops, golf, and Keene State College.
- Walking tour guides of for a Walk around Downtown Jaffrey and a Walk around Jaffrey Center may be picked up at the Jaffrey Chamber of Commerce office at 7 Main Street.
- Team Jaffrey